Often, I hear well-meaning Christians lessen the importance of the Old Testament in our lives as believers. The truth is, without an Old Testament, there can be no New Testament. The Old Testament foreshadows the first coming of Jesus. Everything that happened in the Old Testament leads to Jesus. The Old Testament proves that left to our own devices, we will never reach God. Apart from Christ, we can not know righteousness. Without Jesus, we will never be holy. The narrative throughout the Old Testament demonstrates time and time again.
Below are 7 Old Testament verses that I believe foreshadow the blessing we received and celebrate at Christmas with the coming of Jesus. I pray you will find them enlightening and edifying. May you be encouraged by this blog and may you continue to grow in your love of God’s word.
- Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.” – Isaiah 7:14
- “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” – Isaiah 9:6
- “There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.” – Isaiah 11:1
- “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation is he, humble and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.” – Zechariah 9:9
- “But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.” – Micah 5:2
- “May the kings of Tarshish and of the coastlands render him tribute, may the kings of Sheba and Seba bring gifts! May all kings fall down before him, all nations serve him!” – Psalm 72:10-11
- “Praise the Lord, all nations! Extol him, all peoples! For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord!” – Psalm 117
While T and I were attending Andrew Peterson’s “Behold the Lamb of God” presentation, we were introduced to a new group called Arcadian Wild. They are phenomenal! I hope you’ll take time to check them out.
May the Lord shine His favor on you as you celebrate this Advent season with your family and loved ones.
Please comment and like this post if it encouraged or challenged you. Be sure to follow this blog to be notified of new posts.
The Devotional Guy™